Chronology of smartcard with a built-in fingerprint sensor
Chronologie des cartes à puce avec capteur d'empreinte digitale intégré
Here is the history of smartcard with a built-in fingerprint sensor.
Same information as the companies page, latest devices first.
Take care that I copied what they announce, and all of them are "first"...
Rise of Biometric Cards (2018 Q4) / Antonio D'Albore & JF Mainguet for the sensor section.
- (2022 Jan) Samsung Introduces
Smart All-in-One Fingerprint Security IC for Biometric Payment Cards
The new security IC solution combines a fingerprint sensor, Secure Element and Secure Processor in one chip,
with enhanced security features enabled by Samsung’s proprietary fingerprint authentication algorithm and anti-spoofing technology.
Optimized for the contactless era, 512k flash, 48k rom, 18.5k ram, ISO7816, ISO14443A, 3DES/AES/RSA/ECC
Samsung biometric card
It's a surprise that the S3B512C was a integrated one chip solution, because
it is costly to use an expensive CMOS process with security features
to make a large area fingerprint sensor (no info about size and resolution).
See System on chip.
- (2021) STPay-Topaz-Bio
is a smart card with a 6-contact FPC1323 sensor module on 35 mm tape via Linxens.
As a matter of facts, nothing really new is happening, there is no new fingerprint
sensor integrated inside a smart card.
Only old prototypes/products with different printing designs.
- (2019 Jul) APS
unveils the Stone M with a fingerprint sensor.
- (2019 Mar) ExcelSecu batteryless, dual interface display, Idex sensor.
- (2019 May) Hengbao dual-interface card demonstrated at the 2nd Digital China Summit
- (2019 Mar) Working with Idex and Fingerprint Cards.
- (2018 Nov) Infineon and NEXT Biometrics introduce Biometric Card Reference Design
- (2018 Jun) Toshiba review
Morix FPSF105AU Area Sensor, 8 x 8mm, 160 x 160 pixels.
- (2018 Aug) Demo on YouTube
- (2018 Jul) Another prototype "powered by Tactilis"
- (2018 Jun) Sisoul
No PW FPC Card (batteryless NFC smart card).
- (2018 May) Infinacom
Biometric Credit Card announcement.
- (2018 May) Unikeys:
the UKey smart hardware wallet card is ISO/IEC 7810 & 14443 compliant.
- (2018 May) SCTECHONE
Touch xWallet with the FPC1300-series sensor (not ISO / thickness).
- HYF Herofun or Shenzhen Herofun Bio-Tech co., :
- (2017 Oct): BH001
8*8 mm @508dpi, 8 bits, Pencil hardness: 6 H(@500g), RCA Abrasion Wear: 200 cycle(@175g),
FRR: 2%, FAR: 1/10000
and also : Interface: USB/GPIO / Interface type: 13pin, 0.8mm pitch, ACF connector
Supply voltage: 3.0-3.6 V, which is really strange for a smart card...
BH001A: build-in rechargeable battery, contact and contactless
BH001B: no battery, only contactless.
(source: Lucia Lee)
- (2017 Nov): ManeulLab unveils
a fingerprint enabled smart card (The Card).
Fingerprint Cards sensor under the transparent overlay.
- (2017 Aug) Feitian unveils
a smart card with an Idex fingerprint sensor.
BTW, I just remembered Feitian was using the FingerChip in 2006.
- (2017 Aug) NEXT Biometrics large fingerprint sensor chosen by
First Biometrics for smart card.
No button? No battery? No LED?
- (2017 Jun) polyimide PCB.
- (2017 Jun): energy harvest / self-powering.
- (2017 Jun) IDEX launches breakthrough fingerprint sensor for contactless smart cards.
(2017 May): Gemalto EMV card.
Remember that Gemalto acquired Cogent.
- (2017 Apr): Thumbs Up: Mastercard Unveils Next Generation Biometric Card.
South African Trials Demonstrate Convenience and Security.
- (2017 May): Safran Identity & Security (now OT-Morpho) reveals role in Mastercard biometric card
- (2017 Apr) Taiwan-based Elan Microelectronics has announced it is teaming up with smart card integrator
Jinco Universal and Korea Smart ID (KSID), a security solution provider, to develop
smart cards with an embedded fingerprint sensor.
- (2017 Jul) MagnaChip Semiconductor has been selected to manufacture ELAN Microelectronics’ fingerprint sensor IC-based smartcard.
The sensor-IC based smartcard will be manufactured using MagnaChip’s 0.35 micron mixed signal thick in-mold decorating (IMD) manufacturing process technology.
- (2017 Mar) Fingerprint Cards:
Fingerprints™ premieres first own contactless card solution demonstration:
- Smartcard with contact chip
- contactless without battery
- contactless with battery
- (2017 Feb): A smartcard with Safran at the MWC
- (2016 Oct): Kona-I releases a fingerprint enabled credit card.
- (2016 Nov): Fingerprint Cards unveiled that Kona has a FPC1300 series sensor.
- (2016 Jun) Datang exhibition.
Showed the 2nd generation ID card. (looks like B-iD!)
- (2016 Apr) KSID unveils its
Bio Smart Card.
Fingerprint sensor: 160x160 pixels / 12.2x12.2 mm
- (2016): IFE338
RFID/NFC, built-in battery (7V / 17mAh) or energy harvesting from contactless reader,
CPU @ 80MIPS, 128K flash memory and 64K RAM built-in.
- (2015 Nov) NFC smart card
- (2015 Jul) A new version with the Upek swipe sensor.
- (2015): Quardlock proposes a OTP smartcard.
"Available 2015" as said on their website. Still waiting.
- (2015 Sep) Video on YouTube
- (2015): Creative Arts is
developping a smart card, RFID, with a small fingeprint sensor FPTS22?
- (2014 Nov): B-iD proposes a biometric smart card @ ISC West 2014.
Fingerprint sensor: FPTS22?
- (2014 Nov): CardTech demonstrates at cartes 2014 a smart card with
an Idex fingerprint sensor. Demonstration video.
Likely a follow-up of the Pinkey card in 2011.
- (2014 Oct): Zwipe & Mastercard
announce the launch of the world’s very first contactless payment card with embedded fingerprint biometrics,
combining on-device biometric authentication with the convenience of a contactless credit card.
Fingerprint Cards sensor.
- (2014 Jan) SmartMetric to Launch World’s First Bitcoin Card With Biometric Fingerprint Protection.
Unidentified fingerprint sensor, likely only an image.
- (2014): JP Sensor unveils a smart card project, the JP2000 BioCard.
- (2013 May): Sonavation
unveils an ISO 7816 smart card.
Looking at the pictures, it seeems that an area sensor exists... and very close design
from the Embedx Biomatrix card!
- (2012): MondoKey is defining the MondoKey smart card.
- (2011 Jun) Smartmetric
releases the world's first fingerprint-activated portable Health Records card for consumers.
- (2011): SIC annouces the Touch Prox smart card.
The Touch Prox card developed by S.I.C. Biometrics offers a new concept
in biometric identification and global security.
The card is equipped with a built-in solar panel into the back of the card to recharge the internal battery.
Over 1,000 uses are possible by full battery charge.
- (2010) Validus BC-25 (with Idex)
- (2009 Jan) Validus VALIDcard.
- (2009) production of CardLab first biometric card (FPC1080A).
- (2008) Validus [www.validustech.com] VALIDcard pre-production card.
- (2007 Mar) ID Smart Inc. [www.id-smart.com], a Las Vegas-based
biometric security system manufacturer and provider, announced today that it has successfully designed
a new smart card using state-of-the-art semiconductors from Fujitsu.
ID Smart will use the Fujitsu MBF200 Fingerprint Touch Sensor providing 500 dpi AFIS
compliant sensor with MB91460 series, 32-bit FR processor, high-performance RISC core that targets
100MIPS applications and beyond, in conjunction with ID Smart's own proprietary fingerprint-matching algorithm.
The FR processors have an exceptional processing speed with a large internal memory capacity of 1MB
(flash) and 64KB (SRAM), including 8KB of instruction cache.
- (2007 Feb) Announces the availability of the BCP-3 smart card development platform
featuring a fully-embedded biometric system.
Used by DivaCard [www.divacard.com].
- (2007 Jun): Designer Jacob Palmborg [www.jacobpalmborg.com] unveils the
Credit Card Concept. The fingerprint sensor is a fake.
- (2007 Jul): Vaultid is making research about
a smart card with a fingerprint sensor.
The picture to the right is an artistic rendering of what the Vaultid Card could look like.
- (2006) first and second biometric card proof of concept (no image / likely the one from ScanEcotech)
- (2006 May) Smartmetric
shows a smart card with an embedded fingerprint sensor from ???
- (2005) Novacard with a Upek swipe sensor (Louis Molholm / Card Factory)
- (2005 Apr) Scandinavian Ecotechnologies [www.scanecotech.com] presents a biometric card
with an embedded swipe sensor likely from
- (2005 Mar) still at project state, no real device available?
Likely to be the same project:
(2004) Zorg HSB smart card
(2004) Fasme (Facilitating Administrative Services for Mobile Europeans)
- (2004) Quard (www.quard.dk) shows the QuardCard. Upek sensor, then likely Fingerprint Cards.
- (2004) BioSensor [www.biosensorhawaii.com] Fingerprint sensor FPS
- (2003) Super Smart Card [www.e-smarttechnologies.com]
- (2002) Henny van der Velden is able to present his brain child to the world:
the first Credit - or ID - card with an integrated 3-D fingerprint sensor.
- (2002) Biometric Associates
- Super Smart Card with E-Smart technologies
(2002) Novacard with Biometric Associates.
- (2002) Fingercard with Novacard (Same as Siemens?).
- (2002) Prototype with an Infineon sensor.
Nothing to note
- (2000 Mar) Proof of concept of a full recognition done within a smart card shape size made by Bill Lane.
- (1999 Jul) Proof of concept of a smart card with a swipe sensor, the FingerChip.
- Application note
(1998) Siemens shows a card
with the FingerTip